Effective Fall 2006, the requirements for the Specialized Honours BSc in Chemistry changed and, again, effective Fall 2009. [Summary of Recent Changes] The requirements described here apply to those students having entered the program since Fall 2006 but before Fall 2009, and to students enrolling before Fall 2006 but lacking SC/CHEM 2030 4.0. Students entering the program before Fall 2006 and who have successfully completed SC/CHEM 2030 4.0 can opt to follow the pre-2006 requirements instead. Students enrolling since Fall 2009 must follow the requirements effective Fall 2009.
This program is fully accredited by the Canadian Society for Chemistry. [More about this program]
Years 1 & 2
- Chemistry Program Core (including SC/CHEM 2010 3.0)
- SC/CHEM 2050 4.00 'Introductory Biochemistry' [W]
- SC/CHEM 3010 4.00 'Physical Chemistry' [W]
- or SC/CHEM 3011 4.00 'Physical Chemistry' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3020 4.00 'Organic Chemistry II' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3030 4.00 'Transition Metal Chemistry' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3080 4.00 'Instrumental Methods of Chemical Analysis' [W]
- SC/CHEM 4000 8.00 'Research Project' [Y,S]
- Additional 1000-level SC credits for a minimum total of 24 1000-level SC credits. Students entering the program in Fall 2006 and thereafter will need 3 further credits of 1000-level SC courses. Students entering the program earlier but lacking SC/MATH 1021 3.0 or SC/MATH 1025 3.0 (or any other 1000-level SC course) will also need 3 further credits of 1000-level SC courses.
- SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 (or the combination of SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 and 1001 3.00) is strongly recommended for students lacking OAC or 12U Biology (see Note).
- SC/CHEM 1500 4.0, SC/CHEM 1550 3.0, SC/MATH 1510 6.0, SC/MATH 1515 3.0 and all NATS courses are ineligible.
- 18 additional CHEM credits at the 3000 or 4000 levels, of which at least 9 must be at the 4000 level
- Additional SC courses as needed for a minimum total of 90 SC credits
- Additional courses as needed for a minimum overall total of 120 credits
- Since Summer 2011, SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 has been replaced by the combination of SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 and 1001 3.00. Either version is required for those wishing to take advanced courses in the biological areas (especially courses with SC/BIOL 2021 3.00/4.00 as prerequisite) or to transfer to the Specialized Honours program in Biochemistry or into the Pharmaceutical and Biological Chemistry stream.