The requirements for the Specialized Honours BSc in Chemistry have changed effective Fall 2006 and, again, effective Fall 2009. [Summary of Recent Changes] The requirements described here apply to those students having entered the program since Fall 2009. Students entering the program before Fall 2006 and who have successfully completed SC/CHEM 2030 4.0 can opt to follow the pre-2006 requirements or the 2006-2009 requirements. All students lacking SC/CHEM 2030 4.0 but enrolled before Fall 2006, and all students entering the program between Fall 2006 and Fall 2009 must follow the 2006-2009 requirements. Students enrolling since Fall 2009 must follow the requirements effective Fall 2009.
Specialized Honours BSc in Chemistry effective Fall 2009
This program is fully accredited by the Canadian Society for Chemistry. [More about this program]
Years 1 & 2
- SC/CHEM 3000 3.00 'Experimental Chemistry I' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3001 3.00 'Experimental Chemistry II' [W]
- SC/CHEM 3010 3.00 'Physical Chemistry' [W]
- SC/CHEM 3020 3.00 'Organic Chemistry II' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3030 3.00 'Transition Metal Chemistry' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3080 4.00 'Instrumental Methods of Chemical Analysis' [W]
- SC/CHEM 4000 8.00 'Research Project' [Y,S]
- For students enrolled before Fall 2012: Additional 1000-level SC credits for a minimum total of 24 1000-level SC credits. Students entering the program in Fall 2006 and thereafter will need 3 further credits of 1000-level SC courses.
- SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 (or the combination of SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 and 1001 3.00) is strongly recommended for students lacking OAC or 12U Biology (see Note).
- SC/CHEM 1500 4.0, SC/CHEM 1550 3.0, SC/MATH 1510 6.0, SC/MATH 1515 3.0 and all NATS courses are ineligible.
- For students joining in or after Fall 2012: At least 9 additional non-Chemistry science credits (see Note on eligibility, below) for a minimum total of 24, including at least 3 at the 2000 level or higher. SC/BIOL 1000 3.0 and SC/BIOL 1001 3.0 are strongly recommended for students lacking OAC or 12U biology (SC/BIOL 1500 3.00 is a prerequisite).
- 15 additional CHEM credits at the 3000 or 4000 levels, of which at least 9 must be at the 4000 level
- For students joining before Fall 2012 only, additional SC courses as needed for a minimum total of 90 SC credits
- Additional courses as needed for a minimum overall total of 120 credits
- Eligible non-Chemistry science courses are BIOL (except SC/BIOL 1500 3.0), BCHM, BPHS, CSE, EATS, GEOG, MATH, PHYS (except SC/PHYS 1510 4.0), PSYC, KINE and STS courses that are not cross-listed as CHEM and not a course credit exclusion with a CHEM course.
- Since Summer 2011, SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 has been replaced by the combination of SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 and 1001 3.00. Either version is required for those wishing to take advanced courses in the biological areas (especially courses with SC/BIOL 2021 3.00/4.00 as prerequisite) or to transfer to the Specialized Honours program in Biochemistry or into the Pharmaceutical and Biological Chemistry stream.