Students completing the following program of study earn a Specialized Honours degree in Chemistry, fully accredited by the Canadian Society for Chemistry (CSC), but the degree and transcript will carry no mention of this option. Students can obtain a letter from the Chair attesting to their successful completion of this special course sequence.
[More about this program]
As of Fall 2009, the requirements for this study plan will have changed in concert with the changes to the Specialized Honours BSc program. [Summary of Recent Changes] The requirements described here apply to those students having entered the program since Fall 2006 but before Fall 2009, and to students enrolling before Fall 2006 but lacking SC/CHEM 2030 4.0. Students entering the program before Fall 2006 and who have successfully completed SC/CHEM 2030 4.0 can opt to follow the pre-2006 requirements instead. Students enrolling since Fall 2009 must follow the requirements effective Fall 2009.
Years 1 & 2
- Chemistry Program Core (including SC/CHEM 2010 3.0) (52 credits)
- SC/CHEM 2050 4.00 'Introductory Biochemistry' [W] or equivalent
- SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 'Biological Science' [Y](or the combination of SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 'Biology I - Cells, Molecular Biology and Genetics' [F,S] and SC/BIOL 1001 3.00 'Biology II - Evolution, Ecology, Biodiversity and Conservation Biology' [W,S])
or SC/EATS 1010 3.00 'The Dynamic Earth and Space Geodesy' [F] and SC/EATS 1011 3.00 'Introduction to Atmospheric Science' [W]
- SC/MATH 2015 3.00 'Applied Multivariate and Vector Calculus' [F] or SC/MATH 2270 3.00 'Differential Equations' [W]
Years 3 & 4
- SC/CHEM 3010 4.00 'Physical Chemistry' [W]
- SC/CHEM 3011 4.00 'Physical Chemistry' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3020 4.00 'Organic Chemistry II' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3030 4.00 'Transition Metal Chemistry' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3031 4.00 'Physical Inorganic Chemistry' [W]
- SC/CHEM 3080 4.00 'Instrumental Methods of Chemical Analysis' [W]
- SC/CHEM 3090 3.00 'Introduction to Polymer Chemistry' [W]
- SC/CHEM 4000 8.00 'Research Project' [Y,S]
- SC/CHEM 4090 3.00 'Topics in Material Sciences' [W]
- at least 6 additional CHEM credits at the 4000 level
- Additional courses as needed for a minimum overall total of 120 credits
- One or more courses from the Chemistry Program Core may need to be delayed. Consult with an advisor about course selection and timing.
- Since Summer 2011, SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 has been replaced by the combination of SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 and 1001 3.00. Either version is required for those wishing to take advanced courses in the biological areas (especially courses with SC/BIOL 2021 3.00/4.00 as prerequisite) or to transfer into the Specialized Honours program in Biochemistry or into the Pharmaceutical and Biological Chemistry stream.