Please choose from one of the following degree choices:
- 90-credit BSc degree
- Honours Major BSc degree
- Honours Double Major BSc degree
- Honours Major-Minor degrees (BSc, BA, BFA, etc.)
- Specialized Honours BSc degree
- Specialized Honours BSc degree – stream in Pharmaceutical & Biological Chemistry
- compare all Chemistry degrees
- Degrees in Biochemistry
Are you ready for University and Chemistry?
Take the readiness quiz and check that you're prepared.
Common to all programs except where noted.
(21 credits – see Note 1)
- SC/CHEM 1000 3.00 'Chemical Structure' [F, W, S]
- SC/CHEM 1001 3.00 'Chemical Dynamics' [W, S]
- SC/PHYS 1010 6.00 'Physics' [Y] or SC/PHYS 1410 6.00 'Physical Science' [Y] or SC/PHYS 1420 6.00 'Physics with Applications to Life Sciences' [Y]
- SC/CSE 1540 3.00 (formerly SC/COSC 1540 3.00) 'Computer Use for the Natural Sciences' [F,W] or SC/CSE 1020 3.00 (formerly SC/COSC 1020 3.00) 'Introduction to Computer Science' [F,W] or SC/CSE 1520 3.00 (formerly SC/COSC 1520 3.00) 'Computer Use: Fundamentals' [F,W] or SC/CSE 1530 3.00 (formerly SC/COSC 1530 3.00) 'Computer Use: Programming' [F,W]
- SC/MATH 1013 3.00 'Applied Calculus I' [F,W] (see Important Note 3 below) and
- SC/MATH 1014 3.00 'Applied Calculus II' [W] (see Important Note 3 below).
- SC/CHEM 2011 3.00 'Introduction to Thermodynamics' [F]
- SC/CHEM 2020 3.00 'Introductory Organic Chemistry I' [F, S]
- SC/CHEM 2021 3.00 'Introductory Organic Chemistry II' [W, S]
- SC/CHEM 2030 3.00 'Basic Inorganic Chemistry' [W] (or SC/CHEM 2030 4.0 before Fall 2006)
- SC/CHEM 2080 4.00 'Analytical Chemistry' [F]
- For students enrolled before Fall 2009: SC/CHEM 2010 3.00 or SC/CHEM 3010 3.00
- For students enrolled in or after Fall 2012:
- additional non-Chemistry science credits including at least 3 at the 2000 or higher level, for a total of at least 24 non-Chemistry science credits (see Note 2 below for eligibility); certain programs already meet all or part of this requirement (check each program's details);
- in Honours programs, at least twelve 4000-level Chemistry credits; certain programs already meet all or part of this requirement (check each program's details).
- For students enrolled in or after Fall 2013:
- General Education - 12 credits Normally taken during the first two years of study but may be delayed to subsequent years or taken during Summer terms [F,W,S]
- ALL CHEM MAJORS REQUIRE CHEM 3000
- Students having completed SC/CHEM 2030 4.0 before Fall 2006 will have one additional credit from this Core.
- Eligible non-Chemistry science courses are BIOL (except SC/BIOL 1500 3.0), BCHM, BPHS, CSE, EATS, ENVB, GEOG, MATH, PHYS (except SC/PHYS 1510 4.0), science-eligible PSYC, science-eligible KINE and STS courses that are not cross-listed as CHEM and not a course credit exclusion with a CHEM course.
- Important Note Concerning the MATH Requirement: Courses that are Course Credit Exclusions for SC/MATH 1013 3.00 or 1014 3.00 are not
acceptable substitutes for SC/MATH 1013 3.00 or 1014 3.00. This includes SC/MATH 1505 6.00, SC/MATH 1300 3.00 and SC/MATH 1310 3.00.